Slots Glossary - Slots Terms and Phrases
To understand the slots shoptalk one needs to know the terminology used by slots players. Slots glossary is a collection of the required terms.
Machine Related Terms
- Candle: A light on the machine that flashes to indicate that there is a problem with the machine.
- Coin hopper: In electromechanical the storage area for the coins that are transferred to the tray when a player wins.
- Credit meter: In video machines the indicator that displays the credit balance of the player.
- Electromechanical Slots: The slot machines with mechanical moving reels powered by electricity.
- Fortune Coin: The first video slot machine invented by Fraley in 1975.
- Liberty Bell: The first slot machine invented by Fey in 1887.
- Loose Slots: Slot machines that offer lower payouts but have a larger number of winning lines.
- Money Honey: The first electromechanical slot machine invented by Bally Manufacturing in 1964.
- RNG: The Random Number Generator, which is the software that generates the random combination of symbols in video slots.
- Reels: The number of symbols in each combination. Slots have either three reels or five reels.
- Rollup: The sound and light effects that follow a hit.
- Stand Up: Slot machines that are played standing up.
- Ticket In/ Ticket Out Machines: Machines that receive ticket inputs indicating the bankroll and provide cashable vouchers instead of coins to winners.
- Tight Slots: Slots that offer larger payouts but fewer winning lines.
- Tilt: A malfunction in a slot machine.
- Video Slots: Electronic slot machines that are run by computer software.
Game Related Terms
- Bonus Games: Games offering additional payouts that are activated when certain symbols appear in the displayed combination.
- Buy-in Tournaments: Slots tournaments in which the entry fee from participants makes up the prize.
- Hit: To get a winning combination
- Maximum Bet: The maximum number of coins that can be wagered on any spin.
- Multiline Slots: Slots that display more than one combination to tally against the payout table.
- Multipliers: Certain symbols if they appear in the displayed combination multiply the payout
- Multispin Slots: Games in which after the first spin the player can freeze certain reels and spin the remaining reels again.
- Payline: A winning combination.
- Payout Table: A table that lists the paylines and the amount payable for each payline.
- Progressive Slots: Slots in which the jackpot keeps increasing as more wagers are placed.
- Scatter Symbol: A symbol that is designated as a scatter symbol provides additional benefits if it turns up in the displayed combination in the prescribed manner.
- Staggered Payout: A payout table in which the payouts depend on the number of coins wagered. Usually if the max coins are wagered then the payout is more.
- Symbols: The pictures on the reels that make up the displayed combination. In the latest games the symbols are designed to match with the theme of the game.
- Static Jackpot: Slots that have a fixed jackpot amount.
- Wild Symbol: A symbol that can be used as any other symbol in order to make a winning payline.